Adam Caplan's post | Latest updates on Sulia
Five sleepers to keep an eye on during #NFL free agency (defense):
1) Ricky Jean-Francois/DT/San Francisco 49ers/UFA: While he has yet to play in more than 27 percent of the defensive plays in any of his previous four seasons, the fifth-year defensive lineman figures to find a lot of interest in free agency. One high-ranking NFL personnel source said Jean-Francois has outstanding short area quickness which really stands out on tape. And with so many teams using a 3-4 defensive or hybrid looks, Jean-Francois should find a robust market for his services in the coming days.
2) Jason Jones/DT/Seattle Seahawks/UFA – The veteran defensive lineman suffered through a few injuries over the past year, but Jones has shown on tape that he really can give a team an inside push in pass-rushing situations. He would be a perfect inside pass rusher in nickel situations for a team that uses a 4-3 defensive scheme.
3) Vaughn Martin/DT/San Diego Chargers/UFA: Like with Jean-Francois, Martin offers positional versatility (ability to move around in a 3-4 defensive scheme). Martin, who started 27 games for the Chargers over the past two seasons, should get a strong look from several of the 16 teams that are projected to use a 3-4 scheme this season.
4) Lawrence Jackson/DE/Detroit Lions/UFA: Known for his strong hands and high effort, Jackson has done a nice job for the past three to four seasons as a nickel pass rusher. Teams looking for a rotational LDE in free agency should give him a look.
5) Jonathan Casillas/LB/New Orleans Saints/UFA: While Casillas is considered to be undersized as an outside linebacker, the fifth-year defender should get a look in free agency as nickel cover LB due to his really good speed.