Project: Original design Wonder Woman
Started: 13th January
Finished: 22nd February
My second instalment of cosplay diaries covers the construction of my Wonder Woman design! This is my first fully armoured cosplay and also my first attempt at a bunny suit - it was a huge learning curve for me and I loved developing new skills, learning from other cosplayers and challenging myself by taking on one of my favourite characters. Given that this was such a long project, I'll just give some tips and insights rather than detailing the entire construction. If you have any questions that go unanswered, comment below and I'll help if I can!
All of my armour is made using craft foam and Worbla. Given that it was my first time, I followed Kamui's Book of Cosplay Armour Making very closely for making patterns that would conform to my body properly. This involved wrapping myself in glad wrap and duct tape, drawing the patterns on then cutting them out and transferring them onto paper.
I sculpted the eagle onto my wooden sword, (which I simply cut out with a jigsaw and shaped using my dremel) by melting down scrap pieces of worbla and using it like a clay. I then primed it with gesso, painted it in silver dimension paints and weathered it using black acrylics and a dry brush. As with the rest of the costume I finished it with a couple of gloss coats because shiny = justice.
To achieve the super glossy finish, I painted all of the maroon pieces you see with nail varnish (after a few coats of red acrylic) this was tough as nail varnish dries quickly and is difficult to get an even coverage with. It was totally worth it though - I love the depth of that glossy blood red!
To make the shield, I cut a circle from MDF using my jigsaw and screwed two blocks into the back, sandwiching leather straps in between the wooden pieces to use as grips. The raised designs are made of craft foam and the rivets are simply small silver studs that I glued into place. I primed the entire shield in black spray paint then painted the design over in acrylics, finishing with a gloss coat.
The leather bunny suit is steel boned and fully corseted - it was probably one of the hardest things I've ever patterned and sewn. That's a whole other article!
I hope this gives some insight into a costume I'm very proud of. I'm happy to join the Diana club and look forward to many more adventures in armour making!
Photo credit: What A Big Camera